WESTPORT PELAGIC HIGHLIGHTS

SnyderLaBar at aol.com SnyderLaBar at aol.com
Thu Sep 5 21:57:00 PDT 2002

Another incrediable pelagic trip out of Westport was recorded today with many
highlights to share. Westport Seabirds in conjunction with Victor Emanuel
Nature Tours observed the following sightings of note.

**HORNED PUFFIN** One adult bird that remained on the water for everyones
viewing till we had to leave. Viewed and photographed at 75-100 ft. from our
boat. This is a very rare bird off our coast with 15-16 records for the state.

**XANTUS'S MURRELET** Two birds observed 20 mins. before the Horned Puffin.
These birds were also observed at close range on the water.

Other alcids viewed on the trip were Common Murre, Pigeon Guillemot, Cassin's
Auklet and Rhinoceros Auklets.

Shearwater species were highlighted by one Flesh-footed, five Buller's,
hundreds of Pink-foots and of course Sooties.

All three species of jaegers were seen and at least six sightings of South
Polar Skua.

Unusual pelagic recordings of 2 Sanderlings at least 20 miles off shore, 2
Black Turnstones at 10-15 miles out and my first sighting of a Red-breasted
Merganser at further than 2 miles off shore. This bird was at 23 miles from
land!

Another spectacle was over 400 Sabine's Gulls with several juveniles in the
mix!

Leaders for the VENT group were Bob Sundstrom and Barry Lyon. Westport
Seabird Leaders included Gene Revelas, Scott Mills, Phil Anderson and myself.

For further information visit our website at www.westportseabirds.com

Bruce LaBar
Tacoma, Wa.
snyderlabar at aol.com