Banded Canada Goose - Sunday 25 Aug. 02

Mya Bell myabell at 4-sightmedia.com
Fri Sep 6 11:42:39 PDT 2002

Kelly Mcallister wrote:

> Hi Mya,
>
> It sounds like you were seeing a collar rather than a band? White on black,
> if my memory serves me, would indicate a bird collared in California. Where
> did you see this bird?
>
> Kelly McAllister
> Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
> Olympia, Washington
> Reply to: mcallkrm at dfw.wa.gov

Hello, Kelly, thanks for responding.

I saw the goose in the Fairhaven lagoon in Washington state in the 600 block
of Harris Ave.
Latitude: 48.7206192 Longitude: -122.5084763

It's hard to give details about the collar/band? from my distance, but it
appeared that the collar might have been of some slightly flexible material as
it was fairly long (about 2.5"-3"), perhaps some type of stiff plastic? The
letters on the sides ran from bottom to top and the numbers on the front
appeared to run top to bottom. I couldn't see the back.

I'm pretty sure there were only three characters in each set of symbols and
somewhat sure that the letters on the left side matched those on the right
side.

I realize that's not a lot of information, but it someone else saw the same
goose in this region, perhaps the individual pieces of the puzzle might
eventually form a picture of the goose's travels.

Mya Bell
myabell at 4-sightmedia.com