Buff-breasted Sandpiper seen Friday at West 90

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 6 21:12:40 PDT 2002

Dear Tweeters,

Thank-you to the birders who posted the Buff-breasted Sandpiper sighting on Thursday! Bob Kuntz and I raced out there today (Friday, September 6, 2002) at dusk. We checked the first dried-out pond  (the one closest to the parking lot) and there was only a Savannah Sparrow. Then we walked to the second dry pond, and there was a juvenile Buff-breasted Sandpiper with a Savannah Sparrow. The BBSA kept walking closer and closer to us, which was good, because the light was fading fast. We watched it from about 1950 to 2005. It was quite tame. There is a two-foot swath leading to this second pond, so it is easy to make one's way through the korn.

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch