Hawk hit by car, attacks driver

Jack Kintner jack.kintner at verizon.net
Fri Sep 6 21:32:32 PDT 2002

In the summer of 1968 I was working for Olympic National Park out of park
HQ in Port Angeles. A crew bus (large van) was cruising with its windows
open and captured a Red-tail in much the same way, and when one of the
people in the bus tried to grab it he got spiked a couple of times. The
bird died and the crew threw it in the garbage. I pulled it back out when
I saw it and, when the park naturalist didn't want it, took it to PLU's
Harold Leraas, a biology prof and birder, who saved and cataloged the skin.

Jack Kintner jack.kintner at verizon.net Blaine, WA