BANDING REPORT: Neawanna Wetland - 9/8/2002

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Sun Sep 8 13:19:59 PDT 2002

BANDING REPORT- Neawanna Wetland Preserve

Method: Up to eight 9m mist nets are placed in mixed Oregon
Crabapple/Twinberry/Spruce along the the upper Neawanna River,
Seaside, Clatsop Co. OR.  Captured birds are measured, ringed
with USBBL numbered metal bands and released.  Data on time of
capture and side of net captured are also recorded to gain
an understanding of movements through the area.

2002                   	9/08
Neawanna               	251
Hours                  	3
Nets                   	8
Net*hours              	24

 Belted Kingfisher            BEKI	1
 Willow Flycatcher            WIFL	1
 Black-capped Chickadee       BCCH	2
 Warbling Vireo               WAVI	1
 Wilson's Warbler             WIWA	1
 Cedar Waxwing                CEDW	4
 Song Sparrow                 SOSP	1
 Purple Finch                 PUFI	5

Recaptures
 Song Sparrow                 SOSP	1

new captures                      	16
total captures                    	17
diversity                         	8
birds/(net*hour)                  	0.7
diversity/(net*hour)              	0.3

Notes: We managed three hours of banding before the rains hit this
morning.  There were a few birds that might qualify as migrants,
but mostly it was CEDAR WAXWINGS and PURPLE FINCHES.  Seen during
the period were TOWNSEND'S and BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS.  The
surprise catch of the day was a BELTED KINGFISHER which was let go
unbanded, because I don't carry bands that size.  We did get a few
pictures, though.

This week in-hand:
http://home.pacifier.com/~neawanna/observatory/in_hand20020908.html

Further information on the this project is
available at:
http://home.pacifier.com/~neawanna/observatory/observatory.html

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR
celata at pacifier.com

A child who becomes acquainted with the birds about him
hears every sound and puzzles out its meaning with a cleverness
that amazes those with ears who hear not.

                                               -Neltje Blanchan

http://www.pacifier.com/~mpatters/bird/bird.html