Fir I. birdwalk 9/7

Scott Atkinson scottratkinson at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 8 16:43:54 PDT 2002

Tweeters:

Anne Winskie and I birded the Skagit WMA headquarters yesterday morning,
Sept. 7, for songbirds, and I passed back through in the evening to look at
other sites nearby.  The headquarters, as is often the case in September,
was alive with passerines, but there were no rarities, although Anne had an
interesting bird that might have been a Myiarchus, although it was seen too
briefly for any conclusions.  In all we had 65 individual warblers of 7
species, with a migrant peak of 38 Yellows, and there were plenty of Empids
around; vireos were scarce.

In the eve swallows were the main attraction, with two rarities, and there
were a few shorebirds around as well.

Highlights from the Skagit WMA hdqrts in the morning:

Com. Loon 4
Wood Duck 9
SS Hawk 1
Merlin 1
Com. Snipe 12
Vaux's Swift 2
Hammond's Flycatcher 2
Pacific-slope Flycatcher 1
Empidonax, sp. 5
Violet-green Swallow 100
Swainson's Thrush 4
Am. Pipit 1
Cedar Waxwing 36
Warbling Vireo 2
vireo, sp. 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 15
Yellow Warbler 38
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1
Townsend's Warbler 1
MacGillivray's Warbler 1
Com. Yellowthroat 18
Wilson's Warbler 1
W. Tanager 2-3
Black-headed Grosbeak 2
Lincoln's Sparrow 6

Then, at the Skagit City (Moore Rd) pond at 6:15 pm:

RED-NECKED PHALAROPE 1
Lesser Yellowlegs 1
BANK SWALLOW 1 (on wire w/Barns just west of farm)

Thereafter along Maupin Rd, just n.w. of Jensen:

PURPLE MARTIN 1 (rare in Skagit County, in large swallow flock)
Semipalmated Sandpiper 1 (on ploughed field w/Killdeer)

And lastly at Snow Goose:

Baird's Sandpiper 5

I also ran into Marv Breece at Jensen, upon arrival he and his wife had two
Peregrines, and I had the feeling that he'd had a better day on shorebirds
than I, although I finished with 12 species.  I'll leave it to Marv to
report on his finds.

Scott Atkinson
Lake Stevens
mail to:  scottratkinson at hotmail.com