Wolves on the Olympic Peninsula

Kelly Mcallister mcallkrm at dfw.wa.gov
Wed Sep 18 12:04:28 PDT 2002

Well, all I can say is, wolves have been considered extirpated from the Olympic
Peninsula for somewhere close to one hundred years. Wolf sightings are usually
very difficult to evaluate. In at least two instances that I am aware of, wolf/
dog hybrids have been found in the wild in Washington, apparently released by
their owners. I don't know anything about private citizens releasing wolves.
Clearly, it would be an illegal act.

Kelly McAllister
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
Olympia, Washington
Reply to: mcallkrm at dfw.wa.gov