Sea Otter at Port Townsend Marine Science Center

Peter pbadame at ptmsc.org
Thu Sep 19 16:28:16 PDT 2002

Tweets:
At approximately 3 PM this afternoon a colleague and I spotted a sea otter
playing around the buoy immediately to the north (30 yards) of the Port
Townsend Marine Science Center pier at Fort Worden State Park. Not
necessarily an earthstopping event but easily the first sea otter either of
us had seen inside Point Wilson. As the typically northwest afternoon
disintegrated into a fine (& not-so-fine) drizzle, the otter slowly moved
north parallel to the shore, approximately 120 yards east of the beach,
till it was beyond easy viewing range. We couldn't sex the animal. We had
no clear reference point for size although it clearly appeared mature and
clearly exhibited all the characteristics and behaviors associated with the
species.
Peter Badame
Port Townsend Marine Science Center
532 Battery Way