Tardy Rufous Hummingbird

Robert Sundstrom ixoreus at scattercreek.com
Sat Sep 21 11:19:32 PDT 2002

Tweetsters,

I was very surprised to see a Rufous Hummingbird in our yard outside Tenino
this morning.  We watched Rufous Hummers all spring and nearly all summer in
the yard, with peaks of around 25 birds in May and July, but the last
previous sighting was Aug. 31.  Today we watched for a couple of minutes a
typical female/immature plumaged bird with a few iridescent gorget feathers
visit various pink and red perennials still in bloom.  Despite watching
carefully all summer, we have yet to see an Anna's Hummingbird in the yard
or anywhere nearby.  In other respects, typical fall birds are well on the
way here, with a dozen Golden-crowned Sparrows around since Sept. 15 and a
first Varied Thrush heard the same day, plus continued movements of Evening
Grosbeaks.

Bob Sundstrom
ixoreus at scattercreek.com
Tenino, WA