WNV medical info.

Patricia Thompson thomppat at dfw.wa.gov
Thu Sep 26 10:00:42 PDT 2002

In a message dated 9/26/2002 8:59:23 AM Pacific Standard Time,
thomppat at dfw.wa.gov writes:

> Can you answer what you think the mortality rate for WNV infected
> birds is.  I suspect that WNV will not wipe out entire species unless the numbers are severely compromised anyway (endangered).  See the attached. Tricia

we don't know yet. I have no cases on file of incidental WNV infection that I
am aware of. Apparently the infectinon does not cause disease in house
sparrow, which act as the resevoir for infection cycle in other species.
Some species are hit very hard, and I doublt there are any survivors this
year. This may change by next year as the virus evolves to its hosts. Species
particularly susceptible to disease and death are raptors, aquatic birds
(paritcullary ducks, geese, cranes and flamingos) , corvids. We are starting
to see more psitticines now.
Mike

Michael M. Garner, DVM, DACVP
Northwest ZooPath
18210 Waverly Drive
Snohomish, Washington 98296
USA
phone: 360-668-6003
fax: 360-668-6072
e-mail: zoopath at aol.com
internet: www.zoopath.com

> What is the correct information on vaccinations.

this is correct. We have vaccinated endangered flocks and high profile birds
with the horse vaccines. The birds do not mount a significant antibody
response to the vaccine, but clinical disease in vaccinated birds is less
severe than in nonvaccinated birds under experimental conditions. I am
confident that better vaccines will be avialable soon, and that vaccinated
birds will likely not even develop disease with the new vaccines. There will
be more vaccine discussions at the zoo meeting in MiIwaukee next week.

e-mail: zoopath at aol.com
internet: www.zoopath.com
>>> <tweeters at u.washington.edu> 09/26/02 12:27AM >>>

Patricia A. Thompson