Birding by bicycle

Rob McNair-Huff rob at whiterabbits.com
Thu Sep 26 17:29:52 PDT 2002

I tried my hand at combining bird watching and bicycling yesterday as I
went from Tacoma to Longview along Hwy. 7, Hwy. 507, and then along the
Seattle-to-Portland bike route on the west side of I-5 down to the
Longview/Kelso area. Unfortunately I didn't have many birding highlights
along the 116 mile route:

- 3 Red-tailed Hawks (one along the rail-trail between Yelm and Rainier,
one flying over Bucoda, and another flying along the Cowlitz River near
Castle Rock)
- 1 Turkey Vulture flying north over Hwy. 507 in Tenino
- 1 Western Scrub Jay sitting on a wire over the Skookumchuck River
between Bucoda and Centralia

I was hoping to get lucky and see the White-tailed Kite from Hwy. 507
near Bucoda, but it was not in that area around noon. I wasn't about to
head east toward the steam plant for a sighting...

--
Rob McNair-Huff <mailto:rob at whiterabbits.com>
White Rabbit Publishing <http://www.whiterabbits.com>