Lyman birds (Skagit County)

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at
Sat Sep 28 17:59:50 PDT 2002

Dear Tweeters,

We have now settled into a 97-year-old farmhouse between Lyman and Hamilton (Skagit County), and enjoying the discovery of a new "patch" for birding. Today there were 9 Western Meadowlarks in the neighbor's field. Interestingly, I saw another W. Meadowlark today, between Burlington and Anacortes on Hwy 20--these were the first of the season for me.

Also around Lyman were two Lincoln's Sparrows, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, and several Yellow-rumped Warblers. Best of all, I got to watch a half-hour duel between, on one side, a Sharpy, and on the opposing side, half a dozen Steller's Jays and a couple of Pileated Woodpeckers. The jays kept chasing the Sharpy, which repeatedly gave a "straight," clear whistled call (one I have never heard before, or at least not in memory). The woodpeckers kept zipping around, landing on snags, calling, and leading the Sharpy on a chase around the trees. The Black-capped Chickadees, warblers, and Juncos nearby were lucky to have these larger birds around to keep the hawk busy.

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch

Do you Yahoo!?