Sharp-tailed Sandpiper YES this morning

Michael Hobbs hummer at isomedia.com
Mon Sep 30 18:59:19 PDT 2002

Tweets - Several birders gathered this morning at the Hoquiam STP to search
for the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.  We were successful, with the bird being
spotted around 8:00 a.m.  It was seen on and off for about an hour,
whereupon I left.  I don't know if it was seen again.

It was quite close to the fence at the SW corner of the pond, working a
small area on the near side of a pair of logs.

As has been pointed out, it is hard to spot this bird.  It often stands
still inconveniently behind a clump of weeds.  Shorter birders (and anyone
under 6' 6"probably falls in this category) might want to bring a stool or
ladder to stand on for some added elevation.  I had some success climbing
the gate, but that only gives you one angle...

Good luck.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http//www.scn.org/fomp/birding.htm