[Tweeters] Satsop/Brady birding today (Grays Harbor Co.)

Tim O'Brien kertim7179 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 11:56:44 PST 2004

Hello Tweeters, I drove around the Satsop/Brady area this morning. Here are the highlights:

Eurasion Wigeon - one male mixed in with American Wigeon and Northern Pintail in the corn-stubble field at the southern end of Foster Rd, viewed from Brady Loop Rd.

Lots of raptors in the Brady Loop area - I saw at least 3 Northern Harrier, 4 American Kestrel, 3 Red-tailed Hawk, 1 Rough-legged Hawk, and a few that were too distant to identify. I did get a brief glimpse of a raptor that was perched in the inner branches of an alder tree along Foster Rd. The first field mark I noted was a pale gray breast and belly. When it flew, the bird had a dark cap and darker gray back. It also was a good sized bird, much larger than a sharpie. I am siding towards either a Cooper's Hawk or a Northern Goshawk. The pale breast has me leaning towards Goshawk though. I don't have any experience with Goshawks, so perhaps someone else will get a look at it in the near future. It was located at about the mid-point of Foster Rd.

A large group of Canada Geese have joined the swans in the field on the south side of Highway 12 at Satsop.

Good birding,

Tim O'Brien
Elma, WA
mailto:kertim7179 at yahoo.com