[Tweeters] Crawdad shell in owl pellet

Guttman, Burt GuttmanB at evergreen.edu
Mon Dec 6 07:51:00 PST 2004

Denny Granstrand wrote, "I found an owl pellet in the Tahoma Cemetery on S. 24th Ave. in Yakima last
week that had a crawdad shell in it.  Wide Hollow Creek runs along the south end of the cemetery. This is the first pellet I have found with something other than a rodent in it.  From the size of the pellet, and other pellets I found near it, I think it is from a Barn Owl."

When I was a kid in Minneapolis back in the Paleolithic, I found an owl pellet that was entirely crayfish skeleton near a pond.  I wondered how an owl would catch crayfish; I suppose a hungry bird learns to catch whatever is available.

Burt Guttman
The Evergreen State College
Olympia, WA 98505      guttmanb at evergreen.edu
Home:  7334 Holmes Island Road S. E., Olympia, 98503