[Tweeters] Marymoor Park Report (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2004-12-08

Michael Hobbs hummer at isomedia.com
Wed Dec 8 21:42:58 PST 2004

Tweets - it was a heck of a day to be out birding at Marymoor.  First was
about 2 1/2 hours of mostly hard rain with sufficient winds to blow the rain
down your collar, followed by stiff winds which cleared the rain, but didn't
help with the birding much.  For birders, we were just 4.  Amazingly, there
were two new people out for their first walk with me at Marymoor.  Helen and
Henry earned the seldom-granted and highly esteemed honorific of "Intrepid"
on their virgin tour, staying with us for the whole trip.  Conditions
warrented granting the title after just the first 2 hours.

Birds were, unsurprisingly, hard to come by.  We'd found less than 25
species by the time we got to the lake overlook, and added only a handful
more by the time we got to the mansion.  But patience paid off, and we had
some good sightings in the sunshine and wind late in the morning.  The
Rowing Club provided many of the highlights:

Green Heron                     Nice looking bird, south pond at RC
Gadwall                           Unusually high count of 8 at the weir
Common Merganser         1 male on the lake
Wilson's Snipe                 2 at north Rowing Club pond
Virginia Rail                    3+ responded to clapping from boardwalk
Red-breasted Sapsucker   CLOSE look NE of mansion
Yellow-rumped Warbler 3 or more on chip piles near Pea Patch
Fox Sparrow                    Many (perhaps 8-10) in the grove by the weir

At the Rowing Club, besides the Green Heron and the Snipe, we had a female
AMERICAN WIGEON, a male GREEN-WINGED TEAL, a *large* flock of BUSHTITS and
another of RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, and our best views of BEWICK'S WREN and
both chickadees that we had all day.

Last Thursday I saw a PEREGRINE FALCON on a snag in Snag Row, and a NORTHERN
SHRIKE south of the velodrome.  The Peregrine was seen Friday as well on the
monthly ELWAS walk (first Friday of every month).  The ELWAS trip helped out
our week list quite a bit, filling in several "common" birds not seen today.

For the day, a hard-earned 40 species.  For the week, 45.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.scn.org/fomp/birding.htm
== hummer at isomedia.com