[Tweeters] UW Birding Week

Kathy Andrich chukarbird at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 16:45:20 PST 2004

Hi Tweeters,

As you all well know the weather this week has been
mostly crappy (a favorite term of my 16 yr old
nephew). No wonder the Marymoor birders earned the
title Entrepid. Nothing unusual here but some fun
behaviors observed. Wigeons with a frenetic courtship
display I haven't watched before, wings held up high
over the back. Hooded Mergansers not in full display
but the males stretching their necks up at each other.
It is amazing how far they stretch! Cuddling
Corvids. One Ruby-crowned Kinglet suddenly flashed
out its ruby crown while I had it in binocular view.
Now that was what I would call eye-popping, wow!

Short week for me so from Mon 12-6 til today. Single
time high counts for some of the ducks. I might have
to quit trying to count as the flock across the water
is growing in size and variety of waterfowl and it is
too far to discern what is really over there very
well. I suspect a few of the Scaup are Greater. I'm
not hauling my scope on the bus, although it is

>From Sakuma Viewpoint Park (near Aqua Verde

restaurant) to the Montlake Bridge.

Canada Goose
American Wigeon