[Tweeters] sign the petition for pale male and lola

Devorah Bennu birdologist at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 10:13:08 PST 2004

--- Erica Zwick <EZwick at mrsc.org> wrote:

> FAMOUS RED-TAILED HAWK FINDS HIMSELF

> HOMELESS FOR THE HOLIDAYS

> YOUR HELP IS NEEDED TODAY!

> A New York City institution and America's most

> famous avian celebrity is

> in jeopardy! For more than 10 years, the world has

> been dazzled and awed

> by a Red-Tailed Hawk who has made his home atop a

> 5th Avenue apartment

> overlooking Central Park. That is until earlier this

> week, when his nest

> was destroyed at the direction of the building's

> cooperative board. Take

> action today by signing our petition and put this

> beautiful hawk back in

> his home for the holidays!

> Named "Pale Male" by his numerous faithful

> followers, captured in a book

> and PBS documentary, this hawk has been tirelessly

> trying to rebuild his

> nest, a somewhat futile effort, as the co-op also

> removed a series of

> steel spikes - originally put in place to discourage

> pigeons from

> roosting - but managed to provide a strong structure

> to hold Pale Male's

> nest in place. Why the co-op destroyed the nest is

> unclear. What is

> clear is that Pale Male's future is uncertain -- but

> he isn't giving up,

> so neither are we!

> Audubon is calling for a full investigation as to

> why this happened,

> what is needed to remedy this situation, and whether

> reinstating the

> nest or other mitigation measures will be effective.

> And we've also

> launched a nationwide petition drive to urge the

> co-op to allow Pale

> Male to rebuild his nest and remain in New York

> City. Help restore Pale

> Male's home in time for the holidays by

> participating in this petition

> drive! Simply review the petition below and click on

> the link provided.

> Your action will go a long way to helping ensure

> Pale Male does not go

> homeless for the holidays!

> PETITION:

> PLEASE REPLACE PALE MALE'S NEST

> A Red-Tailed Hawk - a New York state protected

> species -- known

> throughout the world as "Pale Male" -- has made a

> home atop your

> building for the last 11 years. Through books and a

> documentary film

> about his life, Pale Male has become a great symbol

> and story of New

> York City. Removal of his nest and spiked footing

> above the 12th floor

> center window that faces 5th Avenue leaves his

> future uncertain.

> Red-Tailed Hawks have a great fidelity to the nest,

> and as it's been his

> home for the last 11 years, he'll want to stay as

> close as possible. We

> the undersigned urge you to replace the spiked

> footing above the twelfth

> [...]

You can also send copies of that letter or your own
letters to the residents of the building because a
friend of mine found their contact information on the
web. I have listed their contact info here;

http://girlscientist.blogspot.com/2004/12/protest-info-from-people-to-people-for.html

Again, contact info for everyone involved in this is
posted at )(and was recently updated today in fact)

http://girlscientist.blogspot.com/2004/12/protest-info-pale-male-and-lolas-nest.html

I am posting protest letters that are copied to me
when permission is given to allow me to do so. Those
will appear later today.

=====
Devorah A. N. Bennu, PhD
Independent Scholar and