[Tweeters] Yellow-shafted Flickers in WW Co.

mike denny m.denny at charter.net
Fri Dec 10 20:25:34 PST 2004

Hello All,
Today we birded with Dr. Robson Newbold under overcast skies and 65 degrees F..The most interesting discoveries were as follows........ two Yellow-shafted Flickers, one along Clay Street in Walla Walla feeding on crab apples. The second along S.FK. Russell Creek Rd. feeding on Blue Elderberry. This is a race of the Northern Flicker we see no more than one or two a year, so to see two in one trip, miles apart is interesting. Makes me wonder if this race of flicker is also performing an east to west movement. It will be interesting to watch and see as the winter (such as it is here) proceeds.

Also in the same elderberry bush was an adult Hermit Thrush and nearby were 32 Wild Turkey feeding on downed apples.

Later Mike

Mike & MerryLynn Denny
1354 S. E. Central Ave.
College Place, WA 99324
509.529.0080 (h)

IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN BIRDING, YOU HAVEN'T LIVED!