[Tweeters] sign the petition for pale male and lola

Devorah Bennu birdologist at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 10:13:08 PST 2004

--- Erica Zwick <EZwick at mrsc.org> wrote:

> A New York City institution and America's most
> famous avian celebrity is
> in jeopardy! For more than 10 years, the world has
> been dazzled and awed
> by a Red-Tailed Hawk who has made his home atop a
> 5th Avenue apartment
> overlooking Central Park. That is until earlier this
> week, when his nest
> was destroyed at the direction of the building's
> cooperative board. Take
> action today by signing our petition and put this
> beautiful hawk back in
> his home for the holidays!
> Named "Pale Male" by his numerous faithful
> followers, captured in a book
> and PBS documentary, this hawk has been tirelessly
> trying to rebuild his
> nest, a somewhat futile effort, as the co-op also
> removed a series of
> steel spikes - originally put in place to discourage
> pigeons from
> roosting - but managed to provide a strong structure
> to hold Pale Male's
> nest in place. Why the co-op destroyed the nest is
> unclear. What is
> clear is that Pale Male's future is uncertain -- but
> he isn't giving up,
> so neither are we!
> Audubon is calling for a full investigation as to
> why this happened,
> what is needed to remedy this situation, and whether
> reinstating the
> nest or other mitigation measures will be effective.
> And we've also
> launched a nationwide petition drive to urge the
> co-op to allow Pale
> Male to rebuild his nest and remain in New York
> City. Help restore Pale
> Male's home in time for the holidays by
> participating in this petition
> drive! Simply review the petition below and click on
> the link provided.
> Your action will go a long way to helping ensure
> Pale Male does not go
> homeless for the holidays!
> A Red-Tailed Hawk - a New York state protected
> species -- known
> throughout the world as "Pale Male" -- has made a
> home atop your
> building for the last 11 years. Through books and a
> documentary film
> about his life, Pale Male has become a great symbol
> and story of New
> York City. Removal of his nest and spiked footing
> above the 12th floor
> center window that faces 5th Avenue leaves his
> future uncertain.
> Red-Tailed Hawks have a great fidelity to the nest,
> and as it's been his
> home for the last 11 years, he'll want to stay as
> close as possible. We
> the undersigned urge you to replace the spiked
> footing above the twelfth
> floor center window that faces Fifth Avenue, or
> provide a platform that
> could be claimed by Pale Male as a safe place to
> nest. Please take
> action today to give Pale Male and his mate a chance
> [...]

You can also send copies of that letter or your own
letters to the residents of the building because a
friend of mine found their contact information on the
web. I have listed their contact info here;

Again, contact info for everyone involved in this is
posted at )(and was recently updated today in fact)

I am posting protest letters that are copied to me
when permission is given to allow me to do so. Those
will appear later today.

Devorah A. N. Bennu, PhD
Independent Scholar and
Research Associate,