[Tweeters] Today at Theler Wetlands (Mason Co.), w/a Question re Mobbing

MaryK CelloBird at seanet.com
Sat Dec 11 17:47:10 PST 2004

Wow, what a day to be outside!! Over here in the West Sound area we had
blue sky, some clouds, a bit of a breeze, and it sure felt good to step out
into the fresh, crisp air. So naturally I headed outside to Theler
Wetlands. Here's what I saw, no particular order:

Ring-necked Pheasant - 5 females, didn't see a male

Northern Harrier - hunting
Red-tailed Hawk - perched in a tree

Chickadees - Black-capped and Chestnut-backed
Golden-crowned Kinglets
Song Sparrows - one was singing!
Dark-eyed Juncos
Spotted Towhees
Red-winged Blackbirds - a couple of males calling back-and-forth to/at each
Eu. Starlings

Dozens of dabbling ducks, dining:

Northern Pintails
Green-winged Teals (tried hard to turn one into a Eurasian, but it didn't

Great Blue Herons - at least 4, maybe more

Gulls - Glaucous-winged and Ring-billed

Was kind of surprised at the lack of variety of duck species, but seeing all
those NOPI made up for it. Didn't see/hear any No. Flickers or Fox Sparrows
today either. Shrug.

To the mobbing question: Northern Harriers. Are they ever mobbed?? Don't
think I've ever seen one being mobbed, ever, and those I've seen out at
Theler lately have been pretty much ignored by the crows, starlings, et al.
If they aren't ever mobbed, anybody know why not?? Thanks.

Mary Klein
Bremerton WA
CelloBird at seanet.com