[Tweeters] Yarrow Bay Redheads, Medina Green Heron

Hal Opperman hal at catharus.net
Sat Dec 11 15:23:31 PST 2004

Tweets:

Steve Gerstle, Dick Moxon, and I scouted for the Seattle CBC today. The
weather was not what we had expected -- dry and even sunny the whole way.
The sector we'll be covering (with others) is on the east side of Lake
Washington, from Settlers Landing Park on the Kirkland waterfront to the
Points communities, Clyde Hill, and Meydenbauer Bay.

Highlights were two male Redheads with other diving ducks (mostly Greater
Scaups) at the south end of Yarrow Bay, and a Green Heron in Medina Park.

We observed the Redheads from the nature trail behind the Villaggio
Apartments (formerly Yarrow Bay Club) in Kirkland. Enter on foot from Lake
Washington Boulevard on either side of the apartment complex, about a half
mile south of Carillon Point, and proceed to the gated dock and viewing
platform at the north end.

The Green Heron was sunning peacefully in vegetation along the north edge of
the south pond in Medina Park, easily viewed across the pond from the path
on the opposite (south) side. A Green Heron was seen regularly all year
along the shoreline of both the north and south ponds but it was a surprise
to find it again this late.

Medina Park is about a mile south of SR-520 on 84th Avenue NE (the first
eastbound exit after the floating bridge reaches the east shore of the Lake
Washington). At the five-way stop turn right onto NE 12th Street and park in
the lot on the left (south) side a couple of hundred yards ahead. Also note
four Great Blue Heron nests in a cottonwood overhanging the north pond,
close to the parking lot, from which many young herons have fledged over the
past two seasons.

Hal Opperman
Medina, Washington
mailto:hal at catharus.net