[Tweeters] Spotted Owls and Barred Owls

Kelly Mcallister mcallkrm at dfw.wa.gov
Mon Dec 13 09:54:23 PST 2004

I've really enjoyed this discussion. Tweeters has so many knowledgeable
contributors. I'm constantly impressed.

I don't think Rob had any intention of addressing issues surrounding the
human influences on the changes that are occurring. I gathered from
Rob's interesting points and questions that he was mainly focused on
questions of ecosystem function and whether or not the demise of the
spotted owl will be reflected in any tangible changes to the ecosystem...
not whether it was bad or good or "natural".

It's quite possible that most of the ecological outcomes of the changes in
forest owl species will prove to be unmeasureable.

The human factor is a different discussion. For me, the tragedy lies in the
homogenization of our planet. It's the loss of unique species and unique
communities of species. I don't like the Pacific Northwest slowly losing
its ecological identity and becoming similar to lots of far away places.

Kelly McAllister
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
Olympia, Washington
Reply to: mcallkrm at dfw.wa.gov