[Tweeters] Elma Swans and Mountain Quail

Tim O'Brien kertim7179 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 13:24:01 PST 2004

This morning, I spent some time out in the rain at Vance Creek county park here in Elma.  My goal was to catch the swans before they left the ponds around the park for the day.  I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this yet, but the group of swans that are commonly seen from Highway 12 at Satsop tend to be found in the ponds around Vance Creek county park early in the morning.  I'm assuming this is a roost for them, but I haven't looked for them in the middle of the night yet so I could be wrong.  Anyway, I found close to 200 swans in the largest pond located on the south side of Wenzel Slough Rd. (closest to the Elma airport) this morning at 8:00am.  They were difficult to count due to them being spread out in different parts of the pond.  Trumpeters seemed to be congregrating more towards the east end of the pond and Tundras were on the west end.  I did spot 3 Tundra swans with black neck collars (YC4, YC6, YC7) and reported them online.  Shortly after 8am, the swans started!
  to fly
 to the west towards the fields next to the highway.

Also, this morning I drove up the A-2300 logging road accessed from Newman Creek Rd. with the hope of seeing some Mountain Quail.  Luck was with me, when I rounded the corner from the intersection of the 2300 and 2305, I spotted two quail running off the right side of the road.  I stopped my car and waited for a bit.  Then four Mountain Quail ran further up the right side of the road allowing me to get a great look at them.  They were quite wet looking, but the head plume and the white barring on the flanks were quite evident.  This area is detailed in the last issue of Washington Birder.

Good birding,

Tim O'Brien
Elma, WA
mailto: kertim7179 at yahoo.com