[Tweeters] Lummi Flats Sage Thrasher still present

Wayne C. Weber contopus at telus.net
Wed Dec 15 23:53:42 PST 2004

Tweeters and Whatcom Birders,

The SAGE THRASHER on the Lummi Flats west of Bellingham, found and
photographed on November 30 by Houston Flores, was still present as of
December 13. It was seen by Houston on Dec. 11, by Jim Duemmel
(briefly) on Dec. 12, and finally by me (on my fourth try!) on Dec.
13.

When I saw the bird on the 13th, it spent most of its time in what
appeared to be a wild cherry shrub, eating the fruit. It was in view
for at least 15 minutes between 9:00 and 9:45 AM, and flew across the
road toward this shrub when I stopped there again about 1 PM. For
awhile, I was watching the bird at a distance of only 15 feet.

The location is near the large gravel pile just SW of (and within
sight of) the intersection of Kwina and Hillaire Roads on the Lummi
Indian Reservation. If anyone wants to look for this bird, please make
sure that you have a permit from the Lummi Tribe (available from their
office on Kwina Road) before you go anywhere off the main roads.
Visiting this area without a permit could jeopardize future access by
birders.

I guess the moral of the story for me is-- persistence pays off!
Actually, all 3 of my previous visits were in poor weather-- the first
one during foggy conditions, and the next two under rather strong
winds which kept songbird activity to a minimum.

Let's hope the bird stays until this weekend at least, so it can be
tallied on the Bellingham Christmas Count!

Wayne C. Weber
Delta, BC
contopus at telus.net