[Tweeters] Gulls at Perry Creek - 1st yr Glaucous

bill shelmerdine georn1 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 17 05:55:31 PST 2004

Seasons greetings,
Yesterbay I checked out the gulls at Perry Creek in the Mud Bay area near
Olympia. The flock consists of 1200 to 1300 birds. Yesterday there was at
least 1, possibly 2 first year Glaucous Gulls in the mix. The second may be
a hybrid, the bill is smudgy but follows the general pattern of pink base
with black out 1/3. Another, a second year bird looked like a possible
Glaucous x Glaucous- winged. The vast majority of the group are
glaucous-winged and glaucous-winged x westerns. Yesterday I was able to
pick out only 1 Thayers (1st yr), 1 california (2nd yr), and several each
herring and westerns.
Good luck and good birding
Bill Shelmerdine