[Tweeters] SAS Disc. Pk Neighborhood Bird Project Dec Results

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 19 11:36:21 PST 2004

Hi Tweeters -

Here are the results of our December survey at Discovery Park in
Seattle.  Sorry for the delays in posting it - it was a pretty slow
count-day, all told.

Overview:For over a year now, a group of us has been gathering on or
around  the first Saturday of every month to take part in the
Discovery Park portion of the "Seattle Audubon Neighborhood Bird
Project."  Our monthly census is one of a series being overseen by
Seattle Audubon Society at different spots around the area. More
participants are always welcome.

For Discovery Park, we now have several loops that are covered by
teams of 2 or 3. Each loop covers a different portion of the park and
consists of around 8-10 five-minute stops at set points. At each
stop, every species seen or heard inside a 50m-radius circle is
recorded during the 5-minute stop. Since the stops are predetermined,
the results we are getting will hopefully be useful for longer-term
comparisons. Having set stops also means that our results aren™t like
a CBC attempt to list everything observed everywhere.

The December survey was conducted on  Saturday December 4 2004:

Species		December 04
Horned Grebe		4
Red-necked Grebe		1
Western Grebe		5