[Tweeters] Very impressive gull flock and quite a few eagles

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Mon Dec 20 14:06:46 PST 2004

I spent the morning on the Washington side of the estuary
following up on some of the stuff reported yesterday on
the Columbia Estuary.

A spectacular feeding mob of gulls is apparently following
bait fish around. I estimated about 8000 birds in a single
group off Chinook Co Park and probably just about that many
could be seen further down river toward Sand Island.

My best estimate of the composition:
35% Mew Gulls
5% Herring Gulls
60% Western/Glaucous-winged and points in between

There were also quite a few Thayer's Gull and at least one
Glaucous Gull.

We tallied 44 Bald Eagles yesterday for the CBC, a seriously
shattered record. Of these, 26 were from Baker Bay. I saw
at least 15 just from Chinook today. I'm guessing also an
artifact of the dead mackerel in the bay...

Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR
celata at pacifier.com

If you want to end war and stuff, you've got to sing loud
- Arlo Guthrie