[Tweeters] Sequim-Dungeness CBC

bboek at olympus.net bboek at olympus.net
Tue Dec 21 08:25:45 PST 2004

Hello, tweets,

We have tentative results from the SDCBC held Monday, 12/20.  The
weather gods smiled on us once again, giving us a spectacular day with
calming winds and outrageous visibilities.

Our tentative species count, with three parties and several feeder
watchers still to report, is 146, which ties our previous high (but
includes the addition of Cackling Goose).  Special birds for our count
included:

Yellow-billed Loon
Canvasback (2)
Ruddy Duck
Cinnamon Teal
Turkey Vulture
Western Sandpiper
Barn Swallow (3 together)
Palm Warbler
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Pine Grosbeak
Common Redpoll

This does not include one Wild Turkey seen on the Miller Peninsula,
which we know was released this year with a group of 11 others who have
since been shot.  We also have two count-week Gray Partridges, another
released bird that we probably won't include.

Notable misses so far include Am. Bittern and Trumpeter Swan (count
week).  Several people commented that flocks of small forest birds
seemed reduced compared with last year, possibly associated with the
very dry conditions before and during this year's breeding season.
Kinglets and chickadees, which set records for our count last year,
have had relatively thin flocks on the N. Olympic Peninsula this fall.

Many, many thanks to all our counters, particularly those who traveled
far distances to join us.  Great fun!

Bob Boekelheide
Sequim