[Tweeters] Redwing photos on my website

Denny Granstrand dgranstrand at charter.net
Wed Dec 22 21:05:46 PST 2004

Hi Tweeters,

John Hebert and I traveled to Olympia this morning in search of the Redwing
discovered by Gene Revelas two days ago.  We arrived to discover a horde of
birders on the same mission.  One of the great things about chasing rare
birds is socializing with the other birders you run into.

We arrived at about 9:00 a.m. and worried our way around the neighborhood
several times before a call came over the walkie-talkie someone nearby was
carrying that MerryLynn Denny had just seen the Redwing about four blocks
up the hill.  It was a hurried trip up the hill, hoping the Redwing would
stay put until we got there.

Luck was with us as the Redwing was still perched in the top of a bare
deciduous tree.  It was a wonderful view we had of this incredibly rare
bird for Washington.  It should be noted that with all of the young,
hotshots carrying heavy optical equipment around that neighborhood, it was
one of us older, more experienced birders who found this one!

Photos of the Redwing are in the "new photos" folder on my website.  The
link is in the signature line.

Go chase this one.  It probably won't be back in our lifetimes.

Denny Granstrand

                  * Denny Granstrand *
                      * Yakima, WA *
             * dgranstrand at charter.net *
* Denny's bird photos can be seen online at: *
            http://granstrand.net/gallery/