[Tweeters] Serious Birders

SGMlod at aol.com SGMlod at aol.com
Fri Dec 24 21:22:41 PST 2004

Greetings

Sorry for the attempt at humor, for this is a serious topic. Yes, Hal, one
doesn't have to be a lister to be a knowledgeable birder.

But I doubt there are 1.8 million people in the state who'd identify
themselves as birders. I bet every angler (aka, fisherman) in the survey would call
themselves a fisherman/angler. I've spent day after day in the field, at good
spots in the Puget Trough, without seeing a single another person with
binoculars. I see far more people with fishing rods, and during hunting season, with
guns. Where are these 1.8 million birders, Garfield County?

The question that led to folks being identified as birdwatchers by the survey
(and again, I question how "serious" was determined) was something to the
effect of, "Have you ever stopped to look at a bird?"

And again, I just appeal to one's common sense. If there are 1.8 million of
us, where are we all? Especially if we apply the adjective "serious." The 1.8
million are not on Tweeters. Not part of WOS. Not part of the ABA. Invisible in
practical terms. I guess you could label everyone with a bird feeder or who
has looked at an eagle out there window "a birder," but that would not be
comparable to those who identify themselves as hunters or fisherman. We need to
compare apples to apples.

If we want to throw our weight around, which I believe in, we need to start
with realistic numbers.

By the way, about 6 months or so ago, Dennis Paulson wrote a superb letter to
the editor in Birding on just this topic.

Realistically Yours
Steven Mlodinow