[Tweeters] White-winged Crossbills

Chris Charlesworth c_charlesworth23 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 24 21:27:43 PST 2004

Birders,

My grandparents reported White-Winged Crossbills at their birdbath in
Kelowna a couple of weeks ago. They are not birders, and White-winged
Crossbills are awfully rare in the valley bottom so I said, they must be
bright finches, maybe Pine Grosbeaks. I asked them to try to get a picture
and tonight when they arrived for rum and eggnogs they brought with them
gifts! No not frankinsense and Thick-billed Murre, but a photo of a stunning
male White-winged Crossbill at the birdbath! Just goes to show that you
never can disregard reports of rare birds without a little thought. They
live in the Ranch Park trailer park in the Ellison area along Old Vernon
Road. Apparently the birds (about 4) are fairly regular in the trailer park
so anyone wanting to look there should do so.

Merry Christmas Everyone,

Chris Charlesworth