[Tweeters] Moses Lake Snowy Owls

Doug Schonewald dschone8 at donobi.net
Mon Dec 27 15:38:16 PST 2004

Hi Tweets,

After several years of low numbers it appears the Snowy Owls are back in
force south of Moses Lake. this morning I had five different owls at two
separate locations.

Four owls were visible west of Road 'K' SE between Roads 4 & 5 SE. Several
were quite a ways off of the road in the fields, but one was right along the
road offering excellent views.

The fifth bird was located between Roads 3 & 4 SE and west of Road M SE.
This bird also offered very good views.

For directions see DeLorme p. 69

Other notable sightings included 25 DUNLIN, 1 Long-billed Dowitcher, 6
Greater Yellowlegs, and good views and comparisons of Cackling Goose vs.
Canada Goose at the bottom of Nelson Road in the heart of Moses Lake. To get
there take the 179 exit on I-90. Head north and stay on this road (do not
take the SR-17 turn). Turn left at the stop light at Nelson Road and
continue to the end of the road. There is a sanitary lift station at the
bottom of the road where it ends. Turn right into this small parking area.

Cheers

Doug Schonewald
Moses Lake, WA
dschone8 at donobi.net