[Tweeters] Southwick Lake Wood Ducks

Kelly Mcallister mcallkrm at dfw.wa.gov
Fri Dec 31 22:41:40 PST 2004

It's awfully hard to compete with the local Redwing but....

I've started my annual midwinter waterfowl surveys. Capitol Lake is a disappointment this year. Waterfowl numbers and
diversity are both disappointing.

A little lake named Southwick Lake, south of Lacey along Ruddell Road, has some interesting waterfowl. On the Christmas
Bird Count, 50 Wood Ducks were observed there. Today, I counted 58 Wood Ducks.

There were Green-winged Teal, Mallards, Hooded Mergansers, and Bufflehead too. I was surprised to also see
2 Greater White-fronted Geese with a group of 6 Canada Geese along the north shore.

The Egyptian Goose was a Tumwater Historical Park on Thursday, not hanging out with anybody.

Kelly McAllister
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
Olympia, Washington
Reply to: mcallkrm at dfw.wa.gov