scrub jays

Robert Sundstrom ixoreus at scattercreek.com
Mon Jan 19 19:26:23 PST 2004

J. Bonham and tweeters,

It sounds like the snow really pushed the Western Scrub-Jays to your feeders.  All birds that feed on the ground much of the time or even part of the time - like Varied Thrushes, for example - are challenged by snow cover to find new temporary food sources.  Western Scrub-Jays are a regular part of the scene around Tenino and locally in other parts of lowland southwest and south central Washington.  As many reports to Tweeters attest, this species has begun to extend its breeding range northward at least to the Seattle area.  Although scrub-jays are common around Tenino now, two decades ago they apparently were rare here.

Scrub-Jays visit my feeding stations throughout the day all year long where I live along Scatter Creek east of Tenino, and other birds coming to the feeders - including up to eight Steller's Jays sometimes - back out of the way a bit when a scrub-jay glides in.  This species has become a regular at the suet feeder and brings its amazingly noisy fledglings in to feed in early summer.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions about the new customers at your feeders.

Bob

Bob Sundstrom
ixoreus at scattercreek.com
Tenino, WA