Swainsons Hawks in Western WA?

Rob Saecker rsaecker at thurston.com
Tue Jan 20 12:20:07 PST 2004

At 11:54 AM -0800 1/20/04, Eugene and Nancy Hunn wrote:
>Rob,
>
>It is my understanding that any Swainson's north of southern Florida in
>winter is astounding.
>
>Gene Hunn.

This is not quite right; there is a well documented population of
Swainson's hawks that winter in the CA central valley, in the
vicinity of Stockton if I remember correctly. That said, a Swainson's
in western Washington is noteworthy at any time, never mind in
winter. But checking the assumed red-tails for rough-legs can be
worthwhile.
--
Rob Saecker
Olympia