Coopers hawk?

William Mulligan wmmulligan at
Tue Jan 20 13:11:38 PST 2004

Thank you one and all for responding to my question about the ID of the
hawk.  After reading everyone's response and looking it up in my Sibley, I
think it was a Goshawk!  Wow, goshawks were always those big white hawks
sitting way up on a cliff somewhere.  The final point that helped the ID was
that the jay actually looked very small in the hawk's claws as he flew away.
The other midair "take" I have witnessed was years go in the middle of Ft
Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas.  A Merlin took a warbler.  After the loud
crack of impact, feathers flooded down as the hawk flew off.  This kill was
incredibly clean and the jay seemed to curl into itself.  Thanks everyone.
Penny Mulligan

-----Original Message-----
From: TWEETERS-owner at
[mailto:TWEETERS-owner at]On Behalf Of
tweeters at
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 12:09 AM
To: Northwest birding email
Subject: TWEETERS digest 3474

			    TWEETERS Digest 3474

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) RFI: Gyrfalcon etc
	by Steve Barlow <sb326 at>
  2) RFI: Gyrfalcon etc
	by Steve Barlow <sb326 at>
  3) resubscribe
	by =?iso-8859-1?Q?Diane_Bag=FC=E9s?= <dbagues at>
  4) Renton Gull
	by Ian Paulsen <birdbooker at>
  5) Speaking Of Gulls
	by Lydia Bishop <gizathecat at>
  6) Re: Speaking Of Gulls
	by Rolan Nelson <rnbuffle at>
  7) Kent Ponds; 18 Jan. 2004
	by "Charlie Wright" <charlie at>
  8) RE: A few crows at Montlake Fill
	by "Guttman, Burt" <GuttmanB at>
  9) Great Black-backed Gull on 1-18
	by "Ruth Sullivan" <godwit at>
 10) species classification
	by "Joseph V Higbee" <jvhigbee at>
 11) Re: species classification
	by Mike Patterson <celata at>
 12) Re: A few crows at Montlake Fill
	by "Eugene and Nancy Hunn" <enhunn at>
 13) Skagit/Samish; Jan 18
	by Todd Pollard <toddapollard at>
 14) more Great Black-backed Gull photos
	by "Ruth Sullivan" <godwit at>
 15) swan sighting
	by "jim cox" <jimcox6097 at>
 16) Okanagan Valley (BC) Rare Bird Alert - January 18 update
	by "Chris Charlesworth" <c_charlesworth23 at>
 17) To Neah Bay (Oystercatchers, Swallows)
	by "Ball" <nigelball at>
 18) Pine Siskins
	by "Hugh Jennings" <hughbirder at>
 19) dyed gull
	by "pan" <panmail at>
 20) dyed gull
	by Bruce Whittington <fieldnat at>
 21) Peregrine photo posted, what subspecies??
	by "Michael Shepard" <mgshepard at>
 22) Re: Siskins
	by buteoreg at
 23) Re: Siskins