Tales in snow

Kelly Cassidy lostriver at completebbs.com
Wed Jan 28 19:47:05 PST 2004

The right kind and depth of snow reveals things not often seen in first person.

Rabbit tracks are common in the yard.  The way the bunnies move from one expensive plant to the next, you'd think they could read price tags.  Saturday, I saw a set of rabbit tracks "moving" along at a normal stride.  They ended in a two or three closely spaced rear tracks and patch of blood.  A sad tale for the bunny and dinner for the Great Horned Owl.   I was in a hurry and didn't get pictures.

Yesterday morning, I saw bird tracks (Gray Partridges, I think) moving from vegetation clump to vegetation clump.  Not as exciting a story as the bunny, but a little illustration of foraging behavior.  I posted photos on my web site at:

http://users.pullman.com/lostriver/tracks.htm

Kelly Cassidy
Pullman WA