Upcoming Seattle Audubon Classes

Vicki King vicki at kingdesign.net
Wed Jun 2 22:39:03 PDT 2004

There are still spaces in some great classes Seattle Audubon is
offering this summer.  If you are interested, please call Seattle
Audubon at 206 523-4483 to register.   More information is available at
the website:
http://www.seattleaudubon.org/Education/Classes/Classes.asp.

An Introduction to the Flycatchers and Warblers of Washington
With Kevin Aanerud, Chairperson of the Washington Bird Records Committee
This course will feature identification by sight and sound of the
regularly occurring species found in the state, including the
difficult-to-identify flycatchers of the empidonax genus. Learn where
and when to find flycatchers and warblers during their migrations and
in their breeding habitats. Choose one of two different trips to apply
what’s been covered in class. A full-day field trip will explore the
east slope of the Cascades and all of the various habitats along the
I-90 corridor (June 26). A less rigorous field trip, with a later start
time and less driving, will visit diverse habitats of the west slope of
the Cascades and Puget Sound basin (June 19).
Class: Wednesdays, June 16 and June 23, 7:00-9:00 PM
Location: CUH, Douglas Classroom
Field Trips: East side—Saturday, June 26, 5:30 AM to evening. West
side— Saturday, June 19, 7:00 AM to approximately 3:30 PM. Limit 14 per
trip. Choose one field trip when you register.
Cost: $65 members, $80 nonmembers.
Limit: 25

Birds of Mt. Rainier
With Barbara Jensen, Master Birder
Discover the birds of the ancient forests to sub-alpine meadows in one
of the nation's first national parks. Beginning in the lush, lowland,
old-growth forest birds like Winter Wren, Spotted Owl, or possibly
Northern Goshawk are found. Traveling "uphill," new species are
encountered, such as Swainson's Thrush, Vaux Swifts, and Pygmy Owls.
Within a few short miles but several thousand feet in elevation gain,
the sub-alpine forests and meadows are home to Hermit Thrush, breeding
Fox Sparrows and Black Swifts. Feeding at the snow line are
Gray-crowned Rosy Finches. Learn about bird's habitats, behavior, song,
breeding habits and life on The Mountain. Depending on spring melt,
wildflowers will just be beginning to emerge. This class offers the
unique perspective of two former rangers with over 20 years of living
at Rainier. Their insights include the mountain's geology, glaciers,
wildflowers, wildlife, seasonal weather, fires and much more! There
will be some walking with distances usually less than one mile and at
elevations from 2,000' to over 5,400'. There is also the possibility of
traveling over some steep terrain but we stop quite a bit for the
spectacular views, to catch our breath and a chance of spotting a
marmot, pine martin, cougar or black
bear. These rest stops are also great time to learn about life on the
upper mountain, sub-alpine ecology, fire ecology and, of course, look
for ptarmigan.
Dates: June 19-20, 2004
Location: Mt. Rainier National Park
Cost: $80 Members, $95 Non-members
Limit: 15
Participants are responsible for their own transportation, lodging and
meals.

Marine Mammals and Birds of the Puget Sound
With David Drummond, Research Wildlife Biologist
Tired of terra firma while living in the beautiful watery world of the
Northwest? Well, here's your chance to explore the exciting diversity
of island life. A class lecture and slide show will introduce and
discuss the ecology of marine mammal and bird species likely to be
encountered. On the field trip on board the spacious Viking Star, we'll
cruise through dramatic Deception Pass, our gateway to Marine Mammal
and Seabird Shangri-la! This is the perfect time and way to get close
to Minke Whales, Orcas, Dall's and Harbour Porpoise, Stellar's and
California Sea Lions and Harbour Seals in the Straight of Juan de Fuca
and around Smith Island. Meanwhile, bird species such as Pelagic and
Double-crested Cormorants, Pigeon Guillemots, Rhinoceros Auklets,
Tufted Puffins, Bald Eagles, Peregrine Falcons, Heermann's Gulls, and
Black Oystercatchers will fill our day's adventure. Don't miss this
funtastic boating outdoor odyssey!
Class:  Friday, July 2,  7:00 PM–9:00 PM
Location:  CUH, Douglas Classroom
Field trip: Saturday, July 3, 10:00 AM–4:00 PM. Meet at Viking Cruises
Terminal in La Conner, WA. Sign up for the field trip through Viking
Cruises at (360) 466-2639 or 1-888-207-2333 or e-mail .
Cost: $25 members, $40 nonmembers for lecture. $50 for field trip.
Limit: 25 for lecture, 40 for field trip

The Swifts, Swallows, and Purple Martins of Washington
With David Drummond, Research Wildlife Biologist, and Kevin Li, Purple
Martin Advocate
If you've ever longed to fly (or already do in your dreams).... no
doubt flying like a swift, swallow, or martin has inspired the
imagination! Let's follow that intrigue in to their flight adaptations,
habitat and food usage, migration, breeding bio-ecology, and
relationships with human cultures. We will also discuss and examine the
life history and recovery efforts of local breeding purple martin
colonies. These neotropical migrant families are a fascinating study.
Join us for an in-depth inquiry in class and in the field!
Class: Wednesday, July 7, 6:30–9:30 PM
Location: CUH,  Douglas Classroom
Field trip: Saturday, July 10 to the Leavenworth area
Cost: $50 members, $65 nonmembers
Limit: 25

Pelagic Birding
With Mike Donahue
Back for it’s third year, this popular class will cover the diversity
of seabirds that are found offshore, focusing on natural history and
identification, as well as how to prepare for a pelagic trip. The west
coast of North America offers some of the best seabirding anywhere in
the world! The rich waters 20-40 miles offshore support a diversity of
species—albatrosses, storm petrels, shearwaters and jaegers—that spend
much of the year in the waters far offshore at the edge of the
continental shelf. If you’ve heard about pelagic birding but weren’t
sure what was involved, this class is for you!
Class Dates: Wednesdays, July 28 and August 4, 7:00–9:00 PM
Location:  CUH, Douglas Classroom
Cost: $50 members, $65 nonmembers. $25 youth (24 and under).
Limit for lecture: 40

Optional Field Trip Date: Sunday, August 8
We will be joining an already scheduled pelagic trip with Westport
Seabirds. The boat departs from Westport at 6 AM, and participants
should be at the dock no later than 5:45 AM. The boat will return
between 3 and 4 PM.
Cost of field trip: $90, payable to Westport Seabirds. To register for
the field trip, contact Mike Donahue at 206-323-9889. Register early;
there is typically a waiting list for pelagic birding trips. Limit for
field trip: 10
Please Note: This course does not provide lodging or transportation to
Westport for the field trip.  Participants will need to arrange these
on their own. Participants who sign up for the field trip portion of
the class will receive information on lodging in advance of the first
class.

Sketching with Accuracy in the Field
with Julie Myers, Master Birder
This class is best suited for beginners learning field observations. We
will discuss ways to use basic principles of drawing in pen & ink,
watercolor and pencil. We will focus on scale and proportion in nature
and how to utilize grid and perspective techniques for shorthand
observations and quick notations of birds, trees and plants, insects,
and landscapes.
During our field to the Cedar River Watershed we will spend the day
creating thumbnail sketches, studying color values and practicing
drawing techniques. Bring your own drawing supplies to class and in the
field. We will compare field guides to our drawings and notes and
discuss ways to improve observation techniques in the future. Field
trip will end late afternoon. Bring lunch and plenty of water.
Class: Monday, August 2,  7:00-9:00 PM
Location: CUH, Douglas Classroom
Field Trip: Cedar River Watershed. Saturday, August 7, 8:00 AM – 3:00
PM.
Cost: $55 members, $65 nonmembers for lecture and field trip. $20
members, $35 nonmembers for lecture only.
Limit: 15 for lecture and field trip. 25 for lecture.

Bats of the Northwest
with Kathleen Bander, Co-founder of Bats Northwest
Bats in the Northwest (15 species of over 1,000 worldwide) protect both
humans and forests from damage and disease. A single bat can eat close
to its weight in bugs every night – 600 - 1,000 in an hour! In this
fast-paced class, we will cover all aspects of the life of a bat, enjoy
humorous stories gleaned from years of filed research, discuss in
detail how we can attract bats to bat-houses, preserve essential
habitat, and promote bat conservation. We’ll debunk commonly held myths
and misconceptions. On the field trip, we’ll see the resident colony of
Big Brown Bats at Green Lake.
Class: Thursay, August 12, 7:00-10:00 PM
Location: CUH, Douglas Classroom
Field Trip: Friday, August 13, 8:45 PM.
Cost: $35 members, $50 nonmembers
Limit: 25