Allen's Hummingbird report

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Thu Jun 3 06:52:16 PDT 2004

There was at one time a specimen record for Allen's Hummingbird
in Washington, the the specimens has apparently been lost and I
don't believe the record is considered valid any more.

The birdbox report is most probably another case of a green-
backed Rufous male being ID'd based on the green-back and no
other field marks. Rufous Hummingbirds males especially later
arriving second-year birds can have quite a lot of green in
the back (as much 75%, routinely 30%).

http://home.pacifier.com/~neawanna/humm/gbRUHU_phen.html

As always, the report should be checked out, because one just
never knows, but it is most probably not an Allen's.