Northern Bobwhite near Satsop (Grays Harbor Co.)

Tim O'Brien kertim7179 at centurytel.net
Sun Jun 13 09:14:58 PDT 2004

Good morning Tweets,

I was out early this morning in the foothills north of Satsop and Elma.  I
had stopped to take a look at a herd of elk that was browsing in a clearcut
when I heard the most strangest bird call.  It was coming from the clearcut
just off the edge of the road.  I moved up to where I could see better and
easily found the bird that was calling.  It was perched on top of a
low-lying stump.  The white eye and throat stripe and the "bob-white" call
made the bird easy to identify as a male Northern Bobwhite.  This is my
first bobwhite and by looking at the checklists for Grays Harbor county it
looks to be a county first as well.

The foothills are best accessed from Newman Creek Rd. which is off the
Monte-Elma Rd. right at the Oaksridge Golf Course.  The bobwhite this
morning was located from the intersection of the B-line and the B-2600.
More detailed directions will be given upon request.

Good birding,

Tim O'Brien
Elma, WA
mailto: kertim7179 at centurytel.net