Nisqually NWR 6/24/04

Scrubjay323 at aol.com Scrubjay323 at aol.com
Thu Jun 24 17:08:33 PDT 2004

Tweets,

Had a nice walk at Nisqually this morning. I guess everyone was busy with
school being out as I walked alone today.

The best birds of the day happened just after I got to Nisqually..off the
deck at the visitor center I saw the male BULLOCK'S ORIOLE, second week in a row
after not seeing him before, and there was a GREEN HERON on the lowest branch
of the big dead tree across the pond. I watched him fly toward the freeway &
land in the trees near the slough across from the parking lot.

There was also a RABBIT & a GRAY SQUIRREL on the viewing platform! Later in
the day there was a MINK crossing the trail between the Nisqually River
overlook and the start of the woods on the way to the ring dike. That was it for
mammals for the day.

Young birds are now everywhere! I watched a fuzzy YELLOW WARBLER beg food
from a parent and saw several broods of WOOD DUCK and MALLARD. Both the adult
BALD EAGLES were sitting near the nest, but I couldn't see any young.

For the day I had 40 species, with nothing new for the year, so we are still
at 111 for the year.

Until next Thursday morning at 8:15....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at aol.com
Lacey, WA
360-459-1499

"We were few and they were many, now we are many and they are few."
Confucius