re sandhill cranes

res0y3oz res0y3oz at verizon.net
Wed Mar 10 19:15:06 PST 2004

We usually find sandhill cranes near cattle or in fields where cattle have been pastured.  They especially like low corn stalks to hide in and can be found by their call and by other birds flying in to join them.  If the water is shallow enough at the N. end of Scooteney you can walk out on the dyke and possibly see some on a sandy point, but it is easier to find them in late afternoon or evening when they are coming in to join the larger flocks.  Coyan  Road has been pretty consistant in producing some.  Horseshoe Loop is another road to check out.  We have found them there among the cattle, seen from a distance.  Ron has been able to sometimes get within 50 feet of them for som excellent videos.
Good luck,
Ron & Carole Louderback
ronald.louderback at verizon.net