RFI re: roosting box

martha burdick marthaburdick at hotmail.com
Thu May 6 19:15:11 PDT 2004

Apologies first for bringing up a sugject that suggests winter!

I'm making roosting boxes and am inclined to put drainage holes in them,
despite what you usually see in plans for them.

The plans want to keep roosting boxes warm and so do not allow for drainage,
but I'm thinking wetness is a big a problem in PNW winters as in cold.

I've made some roosting boxes in the past with double floors--both floors
with drainage holes, but alternating to minimize updrafts. There's a gap
between the floors. I'd rather not do the double floors because of the extra
work.

Any thoughts on whether PNW roosting boxes should have drainage?

Also, re: putting roosting boxes out--is it beneficial to put them out in
early fall so birds become familiar with them? If so, should they be left
open to discourage squirrels/mice/hornets etc.?