Anna's and Common Tern Skagit

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sun May 9 10:04:02 PDT 2004

Dear Tweeters,

Betty Crum, Katy Morse and I enjoyed excellent birding
in Skagit County yesterday on the NAMC. Our territory
included the Skagit County portions of Deception Pass
State Park, plus other parts of Fidalgo Island and the
Swinomish Indian Reservation.

At Rosario Head, there were about 125 COMMON TERNS.
This is a rare species in the county; I have never
seen more than a few dozen at a time here. They were
way out. With them were a few dozen Bonaparte's Gulls,
and many of the more usual seabirds.

The bird of the day was an ANNA's HUMMINGBIRD. It
surprised us as we birded at a newly constructed
development off SR 20, near Pass Lake. Some of the
road names here are Deception Shores Drive and Heilman
Court. Driving uphill, due south from SR 20 near the
east end of Pass Lake, we came to a fork in the newly
constructed road. The forks were barricaded with
cables attached to concrete blocks, so we parked
there. Taking the left (shorter) fork, we came to a
new cul-de-sac. There is a green metal electrical box
at the edge of the cul-de-sac by the edge of the road.
The Anna's was just beyond this box, repeatedly
returning to perch in some bushes near an evergreen
sapling. Lying on the ground right near the bird's
perches was a white sign, "Lot 4 Reserved." I put four
rocks on a stump near the spot. If you are standing in
the cul-de-sac, line up a metal plate in the ground
that says "water" on it, with a tube that has a yellow
"caution buried power cable" sign, and walk toward the
evergreen sapling about a hundred feet down the hill.

=====

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch

near Lyman (Skagit County), Washington