[Tweeters] bird book info

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Fri Nov 12 17:21:54 PST 2004

If such a single volume exists, I suspect there are many
of us who'd like to know about it.  But I also suspect
that if it did Ian would have already found it and let us
all know.

The trick is in finding a single reference that includes
all the range map stuff AND all the natural history stuff
in the same book AND was written in the last 20 years.

Ehrlich's _Birder's Handbook_ has succinct natural history
on all North American Species, but almost no range info.

The recently published _Birds of Oregon: a general reference_
is fair to very on natural history depending on the species,
though it has some gaps and scrupulously avoids talking about
BC, Washington, Idaho or California except when pressed.

There is good range stuff at:
http://www.fish.washington.edu/naturemapping/wagap/public_html/

The CD _Oregon Breeding Bird Atlas_ has pretty good breeding
range info for Oregon, though again some species are more
accurately represented than others.
See: http://www.oregonbirds.org/breeding_atlas.html

And the Patuxent Bird Identification InfoCenter website has
ID info, range maps, natural history and even song files.
at: http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/framlst.html