[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 10/2/04

Steve Nord rangersteve at comcast.net
Sun Oct 3 20:04:20 PDT 2004

Tweeters;

Sorry for this delayed report. Saturday I walked the entire loop at
Nisqually NWR.  After birding the refuge weekly for 7 years it's difficult
to find "new" species on the refuge, but yesterday I had a great surprise.
Investigating the commotion of several Fox Sparrows and Spotted Towhees, I
peered into a small group of trees to find my first NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL at
the refuge.  The owl was perched in a cluster of trees along the trail
(eastside of trail), along McAllister Creek.  These trees were along the
trail north of the photo blind pond, but south of the benches that are on
the point of land currently flagged with yellow ribbons warning of bees.

The refuge was hopping with tons of birds, with big increases in the numbers
of CEDAR WAXWINGS (total count was 470 birds mostly immatures), FOX
SPARROWS(12 birds), SPOTTED TOWHEES (34 birds), AMERICAN PIPITS(51 birds),
and AMERICAN ROBINS(65 birds). There were also many YELLOW-RUMPED
WARBLERS(54 birds), mostly Myrtle race.  Had the season's first CACKLING
GEESE (minima), 110 in the field west of the barns.  With these geese was a
single GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE.

Other sightings
COMMON LOON 10
WESTERN GREBE 5
SURF SCOTER 87
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER 15
WESTERN MEADOWLARK 4
HOUSE SPARROW 1 male (rare at refuge - thankfully)

Good Birding!!!

Steve Nord
Olympia, WA
Rangersteve AT comcast.net