[Tweeters] Juanita Bay Park

MaryFrances Mathis mf.mathis at verizon.net
Thu Oct 14 16:01:05 PDT 2004

A birdy morning at JBP, and a new species for the Park list: a pair of
COMMON RAVENS circled and called for about two minutes, before flying off to
the east. I think it was just a couple days ago that ones were seen over
St. Edwards S.P., and have been reported from other Seattle areas, so not
unexpected here. Range expansion?

Other interesting notes:
* 4 (and possibly a 5th) WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS, 2 each tan-striped and
white-striped. At least 2 of them were singing.
* An intergrade Northern Flicker, with a brown face, red moustache, a faint
red crescent on the nape, and orangish, rather than salmon underwings.
* A calling (while foraging) Red-breasted Sapsucker: didn’t see or hear
another. Other than during the breeding season, the only time I’ve heard
one call was one dive-bombing a Barred Owl.
* Quite a few singing birds: Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Robin, Yellow-rumped
Warbler, Fox Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird. Must be this beautiful weather.
* Not very many ducks
they’re slow returning this fall.

And still no Mountain Chickadee.

MaryFrances Mathis