[Tweeters] Ponderings

Ron McCluskey rmcclsky at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 22 19:34:42 PDT 2004

Happy Friday Birders,

I just wanted to pass on a few things I've been thinking about and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on them. These are some questions that might lead to added research, and some may already be answered.

1) What is (are) the best birding area(s) that are rarely or seldom scouted?

2) What percentage of birds in our state are actually viewed and identified by birders? (Probably varies according to group. i.e. water birds vs. passerines.)

3) Does that percentage correlate to accidentals? (For instance, if 1/100,000 birds is actually seen and identified by a birder, does that mean there are 100,000 times as many accidentals as are actually identified?)

4) How likely is it that an accidental would find its way back to its normal range?

5) What species are most likely to actually rarely show up in our area but have never been seen - either because they look so close to something common and thus ignored, or are too secretive to be seen?

6) Since I live on the east side, can I make up my own rules as far as how big my yard is? (I live on 40 acres :')

There are probably some better questions that I've not included, but that should get some creative juices going.

Best wishes,
Ron McCluskey
Cheney