[Tweeters] Common Redpoll

Doug Schonewald dschone8 at donobi.net
Sun Apr 10 21:40:47 PDT 2005

Hi Tweets,

	Barb and I spent a few hours birding around Potholes Reservoir this
afternoon. We were able to see several firsts for the year including a pair
of Swainson's Hawk (one light morph, one dark morph) and quite a few Caspian
Terns. Our best bird of the day was a Common Redpoll observed at Potholes
State Park. This is by far the latest I have seen redpoll in this part of
the county.
	We also witnessed a melodrama of nature as a gang of House Sparrows
harassed and evicted a Downy Woodpecker from its nest in the park. Several
sparrows entered the nest hole and others waited outside. When the Downy
tried to plug the hole with its body they physically dragged it out and
mobbed it into submission, then took over the hole.

Cheers

Doug Schonewald
Moses Lake, WA
dschone8 at donobi.net